It’s the Christmas season, who doesn’t love mince pies? This recipe happens to be vegan, gluten free, and super delicious. For a cheaper alternative to pistachios, oat flour can be substituted.
Ingredients: (makes 4 pies)
For the pie crust:
- 66g ground almonds
- 66g ground pistachios
- 1 1/3 tbsp water
- 6 medjool dates
For the mincemeat:
- 66.66 g bramley apple sauce (easy to make your own)
- 33g raisins
- 33g sultanas
- 2 tsp orange flower extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
What to do:
- In a medium saucepan add the ingredients for the mincemeat and leave on a low heat to simmer for a good 15 minutes.
- During this time, prep the pie crust by adding all the pie ingredients to a blender or food processor and pulsing until it begins to form a smooth ball.
- Scrape out onto a floured surface and roll until approximately 1 cm thick. Line a cupcake tin with 4 cases and cut a large circle of dough. Place this in the base of each cupcake case so it covers the base and 3/4 of the sides.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place a heaped tablespoon of mincemeat in each pie, topping with a cutout circle of the remaining dough.
- Bake for a further 8 minutes.
- If you aren’t eating them immediately then reheat them for about 2 minutes in the oven and serve warm.
Each pie is roughly 330 calories, 3g protein, 45g carbs. (oat flour will lower the calorie content but increase the carb)