Snacks, who doesn’t love them? Come 3pm I am fully in need of a sugar kick to get me through the rest of the afternoon. I especially love dried fruit and nuts, and have a minor addiction to the cashew cookie nakd bars. Unfortunately being a student means being perpetually broke, making it increasingly difficult to justify spending 85p per bar, so I decided it was high time I made some myself. If you buy the dried fruit on offer (e.g Holland and Barret does frequent buy one get one 1/2 price) it comes out cheaper to make your own. Plus, these are fully customisable.
These bars require literally 3 ingredients and a blender. Not even a fancy blender, I used my £17 breville blender and it worked a charm.
Ok I probably could have wrapped these all nicely in baking parchment for the photo, but let’s be real, who has time for that;)
Ingredients: makes 6 bars each apprx the size of a nakd bar (167 cal, 4g protein per bar)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or almond/peanut)
- 1/3 cup dried apricots (or mango/pear/apple/pinneaple etc)
- 1/3 cup dates (prunes could also work, if not using medjool then I recommend you soak the dates for 30 mins before beginning to ensure they’re not too dry)
What to do:
- Place the nuts in your blender and pulse until fine.
- Tip the ground nuts into a bowl and place the fruit in the blender. Pulse until it forms a smooth ball of dough. I scraped the sides with a spatula a few times.
- Mix the fruit with the nuts in the bowl then return to the blender to pulse once more.
- Line a small tub with cling film and spoon the mixture into the tub.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to set.
That’s it! Super quick, super simple, super delicious.
If you plan to take these in your bag for the day I recommend baking at gas mark 2 for 15 minutes to firm them up slightly.