I was in Italy over the summer where I sampled possibly the best cocoa ever. If you’ve never tasted Italian drinking chocolate, you have honestly never lived. It is basically a cross between cocoa and chocolate pudding, a perfect matrimony of absolute chocolate heaven. You’re left with a hot chocolaty drink thick enough to have with a spoon.
Here is the recipe I use (it’s insanely simple)
Makes one small cup (prep time 5 mins):
- 150ml of milk (I use semi skimmed)
- 1tbs of unsweetened cocoa powder (make sure you use proper cocoa)
- 3/4 tbs of corn starch or corn flour (used for thickening so check you have the right stuff)
- just under 1/2 tbs of sugar
- Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan, and stir with a whisk until well blended.
- Turn on the heat, and continue whisking thoroughly to avoid clumps developing.
- Allow a few moments for it to begin to thicken, then whisk, continue process until you can feel the mixture slightly thicken.
- Turn off the heat and poor into your cup. It will finish thickening as it begins to cool.
- It is ready, enjoy whilst still hot.